Thursday, October 21, 2010

lessons from the Lord.

yesterday i was feeling the stress of many things on me at once and i decided to head out to my usual thinking spot. it is a church that is out on one edge of town near some fields. i drove out there, parked the car and then spent a good 25 minutes staring at this one tree trying to figure out why i felt so stressed, and why all the trials in my life were coming at me, and how i was going to get everything done that i needed to. after those first 25 minutes i was still staring at the same tree and the thought popped into my head, "how often do you let what you are focused on determine what you see." i then proceeded to look up and from where i was sitting, and from this spot at the church you are up on a hill and when you look out you can see out over rexburg, sugar city, and st. anthony. it is so pretty and is even the reason that i go to this spot to think. i realized that i have been focusing a little too much on my "woes" and not enjoying all of the blessings that my heavenly father is still giving to me. it was a good lesson, one that i really needed in the moment. i am so grateful for my Savior and the little things He does in my life to help remind me how much He knows and loves me. well, after this i decided to take some pictures to display my experience, so here they are.

the tree.
a little to the right.
more to the right.
seeing further past the tree.
broadening my horizons.
the view that i get to see when sitting and thinking.
up next to the tree.
three photos that show the whole view of why i go to this spot to forget my woes and work through trials.
what a beautiful wonderful lesson from my Heavenly Father. He knows and love me, i am so grateful for that.

scripture of the day:
todays scripture is not really a scripture but some thoughts taken from Elder Uchtdorf's October Conference Talk, 'Of Things That Matter Most' ... "If life and its rushed pace and many stresses have made it difficult for you to feel like rejoicing, then perhaps now is a good time to refocus on what matters most ... We would do well to slow down a little, proceed at the optimum speed for our circumstances, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter the most ... Let us simplify our lives a little. Let us make the changes necessary to refocus our lives on the sublime beauty of the simple, humble path of Christian discipleship - the path that leads always toward a life of meaning, gladness, and peace."

today i am thankful for:
* the blessings the Lord gives me.
* the lessons that i am able to receive through the gift of the spirit.
* a mother who knows.
* friends and family at home who make me feel loved and important.
* smiles from strangers.
* time to study.

<3.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Thankyou for your insights. We all do have so much to be grateful for and need to focus on that rather than the things we lack. I struggle with this myself sometimes. I hope you are having a great year at BYU-I. We had several youth from our ward head there this fall. It sounds like a super place, maybe someday I'll have the chance to visit there.