Monday, April 11, 2011

cake pops.

for a few weeks now jessica and i have been discussing how we both wanted to try and make cake pops. well, tonight my family is having a little going away dinner for me, so we decided this would be the perfect occasion to make them for. so yesterday we got together after church and had at it. the premise of the whole idea is rather simple, bake a cake, any cake you want really. then after you bake it, and let it cool, crumble it up into fine pieces in a large bowl. then mix (mush) it together with one can of frosting. again, really it could be any kind you like. then roll into little round balls and place them on a cookie sheet with wax paper on it. then place a stick into them and let them cool in the freezer for about a half hour. melt up your chocolate and then dip your cake pop into the chocolate and decorate any way you want. simple simple, right? mostly. jessica and i had a hard time getting the cake balls to stay on the sticks when dipping them. they need to be very frozen onto the stick. also, the chocolate dries so fast that it is hard to decorate them with any sprinkles or anything before the chocolate dries. we ended up just dipping them in either a brown or white chocolate and then drizzling them with the other color. they really are quite cute that way.
it was pretty time consuming, but fun to do together. i'm not sure how people end up getting them to look like little characters or such.
we had a hard enough time just getting them to look nice. but it was a fun little thing to do and made for some good laughs.

scripture of the day:
1 nephi 8:12 And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit.

today i am thankful for:
* jessica. i love spending time with her and am so grateful to have her as my sister.
* fun ideas to do.
* ovens and freezers and not having to bake things over a fire or cool them in a stream.
* people who share their talents with the world.

<3.

2 comments:

missykac said...

YUM! These are the times that you're going to remember. I'm glad you sisters got to have some fun and laughs together. Wish I could be there to try one!
Love ya,
Aunt Kathy

Angela said...

I tried making cake pops about a year ago and found them hard to dip as well. I made the cupcake variety with a different colored top and bottom. Mine also would fall off the sticks. I think I'll just stick with regular cupcakes or cookies, no dipping involved. Your did look cute though. I love hearing from you.