Friday, December 13, 2013

the little drummer boy.

    there has been a music video all over facebook recently, that you may have seen. i've pretty much been obsessed with it since i first saw it. i like to listen to it about 9 times a day, sometimes more. i have always had some very specific favorite christmas songs, like darcy the dragon by roger whitaker, and born to die by bebo norman, but the little drummer boy really has never been up there with the rest for me. however, something about this version of the little drummer boy just seems to speak to my heart.
     i'm not sure i've ever spent enough time before at Christmas just pausing to think about my Savior and what He means to me. but this Christmas season i have done it a little more, and it has been amazing. i mean, here is a spirit son of God, who chose to come down to this earth for the sole purpose of living a perfect life so He could be offered up as a sacrifice for my life. He came because He knew i could not do for myself what it was He volunteered to do. He suffered. He bleed. He cried. He was left alone. He was mocked. He was persecuted. He endured. He loved. He forgave. He healed. He fulfilled the Father's plan. He died.
     there is a man, who walked this earth, who died because of me, who died for me, who died so that He could know how to succor me for doing the very things that caused Him so much suffering and pain. when i think of all these things, and of all the other innumerable and countless ways He has blessed my life, and will continue to bless my life, and how i could never possibly offer Him anything equal in return, i often think to myself, "little baby, i am a poor *girl* too, i have no gift to bring, that's fit to give my King."
     i feel entirely inadequate thinking of ways in which i can repay Him for the gifts He has blessed me with. i try to imagine elaborate displays of my devotion which I could perform, or large costly acts of service i could do to try and give back to Him what He has given to me. but at the quiet moments in my life. when i really stop to talk to Him, stop to listen to what it is from me that He wants i am reminded of these other words from the song, "i played my drum for Him, i played my best for Him, then He smiled at me, me and my drum." the Lord doesn't expect anything big. He doesn't need it. all He truly wants is for us to do our best. He wants us to do what we can. if all we are capable of doing is playing our drum, then that is all that He wants and even expects of us. and as long as we do our best, our absolute, very best, we can be assured that He will smile down at us. that He will willingly and graciously accept our meager offering and magnify our efforts for good.
     what a glorious God we have for a Father, one who gave us His son, just so that our imperfections could be made perfect and that our weaknesses could be made into strengths. i am so grateful this Christmas season to be reminded of the true meaning of Christmas. to be able to remember why we should celebrate this time of year. and to understand what it is that is expected of me because of the Savior's atonement.
     i love the Lord.

scripture of the day:
Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

today i am thankful for:
* uplifting music.
* a Savior.
* opportunities to grow.
* hidden strength.
* simple acts of service.
* my family.
* smiles.


2 comments:

Angela said...

Thanks for sharing that fun version of the drummer boy. I'll have to share it with my daughter Holly this afternoon. She is part of an acapella club at her school and loves this kind of music.

Dianne said...

Well said. I love Christmas music and the lessons we can learn from them. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!