Thursday, December 12, 2013

increase your faith ... the job.

     i've prayed a lot about whether i should stay up in idaho for the winter semester (when i am off-track) or if i should move back to arizona. i kept feeling like i should stay here, but i was worried. i knew that i did not have the funds for this option and would not be able to pay for all the things i'd need to pay for if i were to stay here without a job. i had been putting off signing a housing contract for the winter because i was so anxious about not having a job or any sort of income.
     about a month and a half ago i went online and applied to a few jobs thinking i'd probably hear back from them close to the end of the semester, but about two weeks after that i got called in for a job interview at a local elementary school. i thought for sure that this job interview was a sure sign that i would get this job because this is where the Lord asked me to be. I was still having a hard time increasing my faith, but I thought this was a positive step. I went to the interview and left feeling like i was very qualified for the position, but also feeling like it wasn't right for me. i was torn. i knew that i could do this job, and i knew that i needed to be able to work to afford staying here in the winter, and i felt like this was probably my only option to find a job in rexburg (small college towns don't often have very many employment opportunities because everyone else seems to already have all the jobs.) yet i couldn't shake the feeling that i did not want this job, that it wasn't the best fit for me, or for the little girl i would be working with. i wasn't sure what to do. i thought about it all day after the interview. i was told at the interview that i would get a call by the next afternoon letting me know if i was offered the position or not. that evening when i got home from classes, i decided to do the only thing i could think of, i prayed. i acknowledge what an amazing blessing it would be to get this job because i could stay for the winter without worry. i thanked Heavenly Father for the opportunity to have the interview. then i told Him that i was aware that there were more factors at play then just needing a job in this situation. there was a little girl who needed the right person to help her with her schooling and with the different problems and behavioral issues that she had. i told Him that if i was the right person for this job than i would trust that He’d help me to get it, but if I wasn’t, then i had faith He would help me find another job, and that i would trust the answer i had received to stay for the winter semester no matter what. after i ended my prayer i went down to the apartment manager and signed my winter contract. i never heard back from the school about the position i interviewed for.
     i kept applying to other jobs, and looking for different leads, believing that Heavenly Father would help me find a job for the winter semester. last week i started getting pretty nervous realizing that the semester was almost over and knowing that it’s easier to find a job at the end of the semester rather than the start of another, but i still hadn’t heard back from any of the jobs i’d applied for. then, last tuesday sarina came home from work and sat down on the couch. i asked her how work was and she said, “britney quit.” (britney was kind of a flake to begin with). i asked her why and all those good inquisitory questions and we talked about it for a little while. then, at the end of our discussion she said, “so, do you wanna work where i work? i can get you an application.” to which i obviously replied, “yes”, because let us remember, i still desperately needed a job.  she asked if i was serious and i said yes and so she texted her boss and said, “hey, my roommate is interested in the job.” to which he replied, “have her fill out an application and we’ll start training her.” just like that. done and done. i had a job. i still had to fill out the application and take a drug test and all that, but i have my orientation and some training tomorrow and some training next week, all of which are paid, then they are okay with me leaving for two-ish weeks to go home for Christmas, and then i’ll come back and have two straight weeks of training and be off and running.
     i’m not sure anything has ever come so easily to me before in my life, it is definitely a miracle and has helped me to increase my faith in many ways. i am so grateful for a kind Father in Heaven who gives me answers to my questions and then helps prepare a way for me to do the things that He asks of me. His answers may not come when we want them to, or in the way we expect, but He definitely is going before us, preparing our way and guiding our paths when we ask for His help.

scripture of the day:
1 Nephi 3:7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

today i am thankful for:
* blessings from my Heavenly Father.
* warmer weather.
* friends to laugh and giggle with.
* music.
* herbal tea.


2 comments:

Angela said...

Wow, I'm so glad you got a job. I can't wait to hear more details about it. Have fun at home for Christmas!

Dianne said...

Congratulations on the job. I hope the training went well. Love you!