Monday, March 19, 2012

the buddy system.

watch this clip explaining the buddy system. :)

this morning i went in to meet with the orthopedic surgeon concerning my broken finger and the phantom metal wire. i didn't learn anything new concerning the wire except for being told it's "been in there awhile." which is something i had pretty much deduced on my own. however, i had a very informative meeting concerning my broken finger. the bone that was broken was a special one because it is attached to a ligament (or a ligament is attached to it, however you want to look at it.) because of this it is not wise to put the finger in a splint (as my first doctor did) because this will cause the bone to heal in a way that will make the ligament "tight." translation, i won't be able to move or use my finger very much once it heals if i keep it in the splint. so the ortho surgeon decided it was best if i were to switch my finger to the buddy system. pretty much this means i have to just tape my broken finger to my middle finger and allow it room to move without letting it move too much. it is more painful this way (good thing i have that high pain tolerance huh?) but at least once it heals i will actually be able to use it normally. however, every time i see my hand now i picture the previous clip, featured at the start of this blog, in my head, and it makes me laugh. so, if any of my friends or roommates start to think i've gone mad, i haven't, i just find the buddy system hilarious.
all taped up with its buddy. :)
the ortho surgeon wants to focus on healing my broken finger before slicing into it to remove the phantom wire, so i will be going back in in two weeks to see how the recovery is going. i'll let you know more then!

scripture of the day:
D&C 3:8 Yet you should have been faithful; and he would have extended his arm and supported you against the fiery darts of the adversary; and he would have been with you in every time of trouble.

today i am thankful for:
* a car that takes me where i need to be, even in inches of snow.
* x-rays, doctors, insurance, tape, medication, the works.
* warm clothes.
* roommates who share their food.
* laughing.

<3.

1 comment:

Jaron said...

It's funny because as soon as I saw the title to your blog I yelled to Christy, "Booody" She thought I was nuts. I told her it's the buddy system.